Monday 11 June 2012

My Journey with Television


I was born in an era when television was just catching pace in India. Seems early, but it was in the mid-1980s. We got a new black and white television (Dyanora) and I have watched television ever since.  My oldest and favorite memory of channel is Doordarshan (DD1), at that time which was only TV station in our country.

Growing up in a traditional Hindu family, what we watched on television was dictated by the head of the family –my father, mother and grandmother. So, I used to watch a lot of historical serials and programs like Mahabharata, all time legend Chanakya, Chandrakanth and etc. Cartoon and comedy shows like Tom and Jerry, Duck Tails, Tales Pin, Jungle Book and even sometime education shows like Surabhi! Despite the boring choice of programming, the magic of television did not dodge me.  Television became a medium to tell interesting and innovative stories. Whether they are about life or lies, about funny stuffs or serious awareness.

Then cable television got introduced to our country, which gave an interesting wind to our Indian democracy. I got addicted to it, just as the rest of my generation did. It was our window to the world. I watched ‘Amazing World’ in BBC, tirelessly.

And then the private channels entered, the stage was set for some exciting programs. This is when I loyally watched shows like the ‘Kaun Banega Crorepathi’ and ‘Fear Factor’. BBC/CNN news bulletins became main part in my life.

I went on to study creative packages like Graphic, Web, 3D Designing and Movie Animations in Aptech University, Bangalore. I choose this ground just to get introduce in media world. The two best years of my life were spent there, making friends from different states/cities in the country. The month after I graduated from the course, I found a very interesting job in a small firm called Srismruthi Builders as a Marketing and Creative Executive. I can say it was my ‘dream job’, which I got lot of exposure and got introduced to many media legends. In this job I showed lot of creativity and made myself as very productive man.

I worked there for one and a half years. Then moved to Dell and later Wipro.

Traveling is my only religion and passion. I have traveled quite extensively across my country and some parts of the world. I have traveled to England, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Bahrain, Sharjah. What I understood from this traveling is, the media is very powerful and useful. When I was kid, I used to watch more international programs. From those programs, I was able to understand the infrastructure, life style and culture of foreign countries. This seriously assisted me when I started traveling (Thanks to TV). Media information intoxicates me more than any alcohol.

The only drive I support and promote is ‘Free Hugs’.

3 comments:

  1. nice capture and innovative relationship building to ur current days

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need history repeat all the program wt u mention should come back, even i like those programs. And also please mention "Alif Laila", "Shaktimaan", "Aladdin", "He-Man".... :) thanks for share... :)

    and continue ur travel all over the world... :) all the best

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Start..keep it up Superstar:)

    ReplyDelete